Tuesday, January 1, 2008

First Prototype HUD GPS Hookup

IMG_2246.JPG
IMG_2246.JPG, originally uploaded by joecagit.

This is the first test of my prototype for a car HUD. What I'm going for is a fighter jet feel in my car. I'm prototyping using Shoes for now to just work out the details quickly. I'm using gpsd with Net::Telnet in Ruby to access the heading (across the top) and speed (down the side).
The image doesn't really make sense since the heading coming over the wire isn't what's showing on the compass. I think I took the picture as one of the bad sentences came across. (Every once in a while it would change to 358ish degrees when it was supposed to be about 2 degrees)
Also the speed coming across is either in knots or meters/second so that's what's showing on the HUD not the 25 mph on the GPS.
I have to still figure out how to get the waypoint information from the GPS to update the hud. That's what the little circle is. Hardcoded to 285 in the picture.

No comments: